Thursday, September 15, 2005

Christmas come early!

Christmas came early for me this morning when I got a package of books that I'd ordered from Canongate.

I can't do links or photos at the moment so you'll just have to use your initiative!

My favourite author is Richard Brautigan. I think he's great. I'd been re-reading his books lately and so I decided to get "You Can't Catch Death" which was written by his daughter Ianthe Brautigan. It's her way of trying to come to terms with her father's suicide. Should be really interesting.

I also got three books on a three for two offer on the Canongate website:

"The Flood" by David Maine - the hardback version which has got the best book jacket design I've ever seen!
"Anthropology" by Dan Rhodes. I went to a reading by another favourite author, Jim Dodge, and Dan Rhodes gave a reading too. He's a Brighton author and was really funny. Quite a dry humour.
"One Pill Makes You Smaller" by Lisa Dierbeck. Cause it just sounds good!

And then I got the free book of the month which was "Children of Albion Rovers" which is a book of short stories by various Scottish authors. I probably won't read this though. I love getting a free book but I never get round to reading it. Even though it looks really good. I'm just stupid!

2 Comments:

Blogger Hostess with the Mostest said...

Ooh, I love books. There's something about getting a brand new book. A girl I work with has the same thing, so at least it's a shared quirk. I'm not a very intellectual bookie though. I have to say I haven't heard of any of the people you've just bought books by. Have you read 'Secret History' by Donna Tartt?

10:29 pm  
Blogger Simon John Parkin said...

Nope, I haven't read that one. I've heard it's good though.

I got a sampler book from Canongate once and found all these amazing writers like Richard Brautigan and Jim Dodge and have been hooked on their books ever since. They published Life of Pi too. I read it before it got nominated and won the Booker prize so I feel like it was me who discovered it!

10:43 am  

Post a Comment

<< Home