Friday, March 03, 2006

Badgers sculpture at Stanmer Park

In my mind this piece of sculpture at Stanmer Park is everything that sculpture should be.

It was carved from a tree that had fallen in the storm of 1987, so it's using recycled materials and using them properly, in sympathy with its surroundings. There is a badger set not far from the sculpture, so it also has meaning and is relevant to its surroundings. Kids love clambering over it and its really tactile; this is great - sculpture should be for everyone and it should be touched, hugged, and climbed. It should never be behind glass.

Lastly, it changes with its environment: the head on one of the badgers is eroding as the tree slowly rots. It's changed in the few years that I've noticed it. And so it should. Nothing in life stays the same after all.

4 Comments:

Blogger Hostess with the Mostest said...

i agree. that's really cool.

10:18 am  
Blogger Simon John Parkin said...

I'd love to have a go at sculpting. I tried to sculpt a giant mosquito out of metal when I was at an arts-based summer camp in America. I was going to smash it to bits when I'd finished to get my own back on the mosquitos! I got as far as half a wing!

10:25 am  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

They are a wonderful addition to the park and make a great meeting place, tucked away as they are behind the House. Many a picnic has started from there.

1:45 pm  
Blogger Simon John Parkin said...

I agree Paul. They're lovely aren't they?! Although they seem to be deteriorating quite quickly at the moment. :(

I think that's when I knew it was over with my girlf when she didn't share my enthusiasm about them when I took her up there!

1:49 pm  

Post a Comment

<< Home